Re: kallitype fogging?: EDTA solution life?

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 03/28/02-09:26:15 AM Z

Shannon wrote:

>>If the prints were developed, cleared and fixed carrying them
>>through sunlight should not cause fogging. Once the ferrous iron
>>has been removed and the silver nitrate fixed there should not be
>>anything light sensitive left in the paper. Same goes for drying
>>them on the porch.
>

>That's what I thought, but then I reread Christopher James'
>book--the section about kallitypes--and in there he says that they
>should be dried in the dark.

I don't recall reading this particular advice anywhere else. I don't
believe it is correct because I wash larger kallitypes and vandykes
on an outside deck in the daytime and have not seen any fogging.

The question you need to determine is if your problem is fogging, or
if it is simply a stain that has not been cleared. I suspect that it
is the second. With regard to your development procedures I would
suggest the following.

1. Increase development time to 6-10 minutes. A long development is
important in clearing out residual iron from the print. Also, you
will need to keep the developer fresh by renewing it and filtering
out the iron that settles to the bottom.

2. Try a 5% citric acid for clearing instead of the EDTA. Clearing
works much better in an acidic condition and as I understand it, one
of the two commonly available EDTAs is alkaline, at least I think i
read that somewhere. If that is indeed so, and you have this form,
then the clearing back would not be as effective as it might be.
Citric acid is really dirt cheap and I use it just one or twice and
discard, eliminating at least one possible source of trouble.

Sandy King