Re: fresson

Pete,

I think you may be right. At APIS 2001 Art said he had some sophisticated
tests done by some aerospace friends or something like that. He didn't go
into detail as to who or where as it was done. I think it was done on the
sly so to speak. As I recall he said it contained bovine gelatin but as I
think back I can't recall him saying anything about gum being in it. You
might want to email him and get a confirmation.<grin> Could be worth a pint
or two when he next gets to Merry Olde.

The whole area of direct carbon is fascinating. I saw at the Society in
Paris some Puyos that were listed as Arvels and they were really nice. The
images themselves were dull. A couple of women in Gibson Girl style hats
and clothes posing in a parklike setting. All looked like prints from the
same shoot. B o r i n g. But the print quality was lovely. I saw some
Haenfstengles done in the 1850's that were also boring as far as subject
went. Portraits of men in suits leaning on Greek columns, standard studio
stuff of the day. The prints themselves looked like the were made yesterday.

Presumably this is the same family name associated with the last European
makers of carbon tissue.  I think the last US makers was McGraw Colorgraph
in Burbank Ca which was a Carnation Company. They discontinued carbon
tissue in the late 60's but continued to sell gravure tissue and if I got
my facts right it was made in Germany by Haenfstengle. MgGraw has some
tri-colors in the front room that were made in the 40's -- I saw them in
the 70's and they were as fresh as the day they were made.

At the time I visited I asked for carbon tissue and was told they no longer
made it. I was invited to go in the back and talk to this old chap. I did
and I believe he was McGraw himself. He had had someone fetch me a roll of
McGraw carbon tissue from a freezer in the back. I tried using it to make
gravures with but my instructor at UCLA had a hemorrhage as it was not the
traditional red color.

Carbon tissue was still available from Germany until the early 80's and
then it went off the market. There was some marketing of tissue for years
after that but I've heard it was foggier than a London night. Quite
possibly German tissue. I've also heard rumors that the German tissue had
it last run years before the announced discontinuance and it was stored up
tissue that was sold.

This is mostly from memory and conjecture so if anyone knows the
correct  version of the last days of carbon tissue I'd love to be enlightened.

--Dick Sullivan