Re: "The Fresson Secret"

On Fri, 3 May 2002 Grafist@aol.com wrote:

> Dick wrote...
>
> "..........and no, I did not get the Fresson secret!"
>
> Hi Dick and All, For the enlightenment of myself and others who have an
> interest in the Fresson process, may I respectfully enquire what you would
> intend doing with the "Fresson secret" if you managed to acquire it?  Would
> you post up the formula on this list and make it available to the whole
> world?  Only the  very naive would believe this ! !  The Fresson family have
> kept this secret for  well over one hundred years. What is this information

John,

I'll cut in right here with no disrespect intended.  Dick can answer for
himself but I have an opinion which I want heard.

I believe that
IF THE PROCESS HAD BEEN MADE PUBLIC:

1. More than just a small handful of people would be using it.

2. More than a few hundred people would know what it is without opening a
book . . .  maybe a larger population recognize the name and know which
reference book to look it up in.

3. It would have been improved significantly over its current state.  This
is not a slam in any way to the Fresson family members who work the
process.  Take the abilities of less than a half dozen of the smartest
and hardest working people on the planet and pit them against even a few
thousand of us and even I who gambles only as entertainment would take a
significant wager on the outcome.

In addition to the Fresson's printing, what is just as amazing in my mind
is the fact that they have succeeded in keeping it a secret for over 100
years. Even Nadeau's detailed claims leave me skeptical . . . I've asked
this in the past and here goes again . . . tell me where I can go/who to
see to view one of his "Fressontype" prints?  Another source of first hand
information about Echague believes that a coating machine along with a
small quantity of paper made its way to Canada but that the formula were
bogus.  As a counterpoint, Nadeau may have the full process but has simply
lost interest and is keeping it for posterity or perhaps for future resale
to the right buyer.

The information that I have collected has been completely/freely shared in
my presentations at several of the APIS meetings.  I insist on completing
the analysis as I do not want to be another source of conjecture which
seems to have the ability to become fact by consensus. I intend to publish
the information after the analysis is complete and a factual conclusion
reached.

If/when I actually understand the process and can make comparable or
better prints, I intend to take it one step further to manufacture and
sell the paper and associated supplies. If I can sell a paper that is
better than you can make in your darkroom and if you want quality then
what's your choice?  As to the pot at the end of the rainbow . . . I
envision keeping my day job.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA