Re: "The Fresson Secret"

John Grocott wrote:

>Dick wrote...
>
>"..........and no, I did not get the Fresson secret!"
>
>Hi Dick and All, For the enlightenment of myself and others who have an
>interest in the Fresson process, may I respectfully enquire what you would
>intend doing with the "Fresson secret" if you managed to acquire it?  Would
>you post up the formula on this list and make it available to the whole
>world?  Only the  very naive would believe this ! !  The Fresson family have
>kept this secret for  well over one hundred years. What is this information
>worth in financial terms? How much are you, or anyone else, willing to pay
>for such a sought after system which can produce such desireable results?

I have a feeling that some on the list will disagree with what I am
about to write but so be it. For what it is worth my personal opinion
is that the "Fresson secret" is worthless information in financial
terms. Even if one knew exactly how to make the paper and/or offer an
equivalent printing service I seriously doubt there would be any way
to commercialize the knowledge. I am in complete agreement with what
Dick Sullivant wrote, i.e. "Fresson's success is not really do to any
"secret" in my mind. It is due to the diligence of the family to
produce nice images at reasonable prices."

Let us remember the history. Fresson is one of numerous direct carbon
papers that were commercially produced in the period from 1890-1930
when the pictorial style was in vogue. I could list at least a half
dozen like processes, and perhaps more. All of these processes worked
and in fact some may have been better than Fresson. I have personally
seen side by side prints made on Fresson and Artigue and preferred
the surface qualities of the latter.

All of these papers eventually disappeared from the market, in part
due to the waning of the pictorial style, in part due to competing
photographic systems. Bromoil and  bromoil transfer in particular
were/are able to render the same pictorial look with either less
effort or with more versatility than direct carbon.

Is there a market for commercial direct carbon materials toda?. I
doubt it. The number of persons interested in the pictorial look
rendered by direct carbon processes is relatively small, and for
those who are interested in the look there are any number of hand
coated processes that can provide it.

So quite frankly if I had the complete "Fresson secret" or any other
secret that would allow one to make wonderful direct carbon prints I
am inclined to believe I would just make the knowledge public, as
Peter has done with his Temperaprint process for example, because in
the long run the possibility I could turn any profit from the
knowledge ranges from slim to none, IMHO.

But prove me wrong if you can.

Sandy King