Re: Question about 12X20 Banquet Camera

At 10:39 AM 05/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>>Thanks to all who responded with information to my query about the
>>Kodak 12X20 banquet camera. Based on the on and off-list responses
>>it appears that quite a number of F&S cameras were made while that
>>company was a division of Eastman Kodak. I am still interested in
>>knowing more about the history of manufacture of this camera and
>>wonder if it might not be possible to date it based on the name
>>plate?
>>
>>Sandy King
>>

>Somewhere in a big pile of papers I have a list of serial #'s of F&S
>cameras and the dates of manufacture. Some of the division's of Kodak
>made beautiful cameras, F&S in particular. One shouldn't assume
>"kodak" meant sloppy bottom line construction, especially at this
>time. The Cirkut camera is a great example.The Century camera
>division of Kodak, later taken over by F&S made some incredible
>mahogany cameras covered with black leather and red leather bellows.
>There was a lot of hand work in all of these cameras that required
>highly skilled craftsman to do.  Jamie Young in Madison, WI

  There is some serial number information available for Speed Graphic
cameras but I don't know if it applies to other F&S or Graflex built
cameras. Its possible Roger Adams might be able to approximately date it:
romilad@aol.com
  The camera was built sometime between 1905 and 1917 given the F&S
_division_ on the label.
  BTW, I don't think Kodak built much junk. They certainly did make low
cost stuff for amateurs but their professional equipment was top notch. The
Kodak 2D was probably the most widely used 8x10 view camera. Its limited in
movement but very sturdy. The Century Studio camera was also widely used,
an 8x10 stand camera on a twin post stand. Other well known Kodak made
cameras are the Century Universal View, a camera used by Edward Weston, the
Kodak All-Metal View Camera, a magnesium version of the 2D but with added
front movements. The Kodak 8x10 Masterview is, essentially, a metal version
of the Century Universal. The 4x5 Masterview later became the Calumet
CC-400. Kodak also made excellent professional photofinishing and studio
darkroom equipment.
  Red leather long ago meant it was "Russian leather", cured with willow,
Birch or Oak, and treated with Birch oil. It was supposed to be vermin
resistant. I suspect most red leather is just dyed for appearance. Red
leather was standard on Kodak 2D cameras.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com