Re: UFOs in my negatives

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/03/02-08:18:19 AM Z

Shannon,

First, have you discarded the remote possibility that the strange
hexagonal shapes are miniature UFOs with real alien creatures? Look
carefully at the negatives with a magnifier for any signs of
portholes that may show lurking inside the faces of strange little
creatures with big heads. You may be the subject of an important
alien reconnaissance mission of our planet!!

Barring the alien theory I agree with everyone else that the
hexagonal shapes are lens flare and you are seeing a reflection of
the lens aperture. Hard to imagine anything else that would have that
shape, outside of a real alien spacecraft of course.

For best results I recommend the use a lens hood whenever possible,
even with coated and multi-coated lenses. The Lee bellows/filter
holder compendium system is excellent. The bellows attaches via an
adaptor that screws into your lens and accepts 100mm filters, either
gelatin or resin, in a filter slot just in front of the lens. You can
adjust the bellows to shape by hand to correspond to your camera
movements so that in theory you can always have it in the most
effective configuration to protect again flare. The bellows is
available for either regular lenses (square form) or in a rectangular
form for wide angle lenses. In addition to protecting again lens
flare this system can greatly simplify your use of filters because
you only need one set of filters so as you change lenses all you need
is an adaptor for the lens.

Sandy