Where eagles fly, and some alt photographers go!

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/05/02-04:56:45 PM Z

One of the greatest joys experienced from my involvement with
photography, greater even than image making, has been the
experiences derived from seeing things that most never see.

Yesterday, at Tallulah gorge near Clayton, Georgia offered such an
experience. The gorge itself is awesome, some several hundred feet
high with a fairly large stream at the bottom that cascades down the
side of a mountain. And the fall colors this year are spectacular.
However, as Sam Wang and I stood at the top of an overlook over the
gorge something quite unique to both of our experiences took place. A
large number of eagles, perhaps as many ad 12-15, suddenly began
soaring beneath us, quite nearby at perhaps less than 25-50 feet. And
from time to time one of the eagles would fly straight up toward us,
coming to with 10-15 feet, and then at the last moment veer off the
one side. I have seen eagles fly above me on many occasions, but the
sight of them soaring beneath us, and the bottom of the gorge
hundreds of feet below them, was simply awe inspiring. We could even
see the way they used the top tips of their wings to adjust to the
thermals, as they circled around just beneath our vantage point.

Happily I did not have on hand a suitable camera to photograph the
experience. Better I think, because that might have distracted me
from seeing.

Sandy King