Re: Gum Bichromates and Ventilation

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/09/02-03:32:22 AM Z

Steve, My advice will seem like heresy, but I suggest, in fact urge,NO
ventilation. The bichromate has no fumes, it's not a volatile solvent or
aromatic vapor in any way. It's a crystalline powder that isn't even
especially powdery --and perfectly odorless. If you're uptight for your
first time, I suggest the following:

Put newspaper or other under the scale so any stray grains are readily
folded up and disposed of.

Wear a simple dust mask in case some grains float upward.

Do not shake chemicals out of the jar, but spoon out, wearing gloves with
a long-handled spoon.

Put a piece of paper on the scale, edges folded up so nothing spills off
and by folding into a V it becomes a funnel.

Have the water waiting before you start to weigh, so you don't have to
wander off looking for beaker, et al, while the chemistry sits on the
scale & your walking by at rapid pace stirs a breeze.

TURN OFF ANY ALL ANY ALL REPEAT ANY ALL FANS, VENTILATION, OR BREEZE,
THAT WOULD STIR THE PILE OF CRYSTALS.

This by the way is mostly over the top, sort of the scouts perfect safety
rules, because you face the unknown. Bear in mind that the real danger
from bichromate is that it's hell on skin, a great irritant. Don't put
your hands in the wash water, for instance, no bare hands for anything
with bi...

I also mention that woodworkers used to rub wood with either potassium or
ammonium dichromate for its special color. There was a pile of plastic
bags of it out on the counter last time I was at Garrett Wade... they were
selling I forget, maybe 6 or 8 or so ounces for $13...

And it was used as preservative in sausages for British troops in WW 1,
not necessarily the elixir of health, but not known to have killed anyone.

And enjoy -- proximity to bichromate (but not touching) makes folks smart,
beautiful, sexy and full of wonder.

Judy