Re: Other Scanners, MF--Imacon. . . ?

From: Phillip Murphy (pmurf@bellsouth.net)
Date: 11/13/02-05:58:48 PM Z

Hello,

I have used the Imacon Flextight Precision II for the past two years on a daily
basis. The number of high resolutions scans (96-320MB files) I've made is in the
thousands. I also have in my lab the most current Nikon 35mm and the Minolta
Dimage Scan Multi Pro for 120mm (they both are collecting dust). Oh, and yes
down the hall is a Polaroid for backup. The images produced from the Flextight
in terms of clarity and tonal range are in an entirely different class than the
slide scanners that you speak of.
Anyone can see the difference immediately. (it's not a little difference) The
Imacon is much closer to what is produced from a drum scan. I intend to
purchase in the next year a model 848 from Imacon. Trust me. It's nearly
indistinguishable from a drum scan.

The money that you're paying is for one of the best engineered and easy to use
scanners on the market. The software is probably the most intuitive and
flexible scanner software that I've used bar none. A great deal of effort went
into the programming and it shows. Oh, and yes, the latest iteration for the
scanning software has Imacon's version of defect removal built in.

In case you're wondering, I have no affiliation whatsoever with this Dutch
company. Their line of scanners isn't for everyone. They are designed
for the photographer who has no room for compromise when it comes to creating
the most faithful and exquisite translation of a negative or transparency.

all the best,

Phillip