Re: GUM - STARCH - ?????

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/14/02-04:13:50 PM Z

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Clay Harmon wrote:

> I am sure there are still some smiles on the list at my attempt at using PVA
> as a size about 8 months ago. I tried to remove it with hot water soaks,
> and then resized with gelatin. All efforts resulted in the same thing: the
> gum just washed off during development. I wonder if I put one of those
> prints in the hot sun if I could fry an egg on it? I'm sure it wouldn't
> stick.

Clay, you may have just used too concentrated a mix, or maybe wrong kind
of PVA... I never saw the need for it, since you can get unflavored Knox
in any supermarket (& my tests showed Knox as good as any, better than
many gelatins).... but PVA will size paper if it's the right kind (which i
forget now, tho might recognize the term) & right mix.

I saw some test strips on PVA sized paper -- steps were uneven & paler
than similar on gelatin, but for folks who don't want to use gelatin a
possible alternative.

J.