Re: GUM - STARCH - ?????

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 11/14/02-03:48:25 PM Z

> I don't recall Livick's technique, & disagree with so much that he says it
> wouldn't matter. Clay doesn't say whether he's brushing it on or not, tho
> I imagine with 125 ml it would be a bit tough to dip. But brushing is
> actually no more trouble than coating with anything else,from acrylic to
> chicken soup.

I'm sure there are a gazillion ways to do it, but I've just been brushing it
on. I just wanted something that didn't turn it into an 'operation', and
this way, all I have to clean up is my glass measuring cup and brush. I
usually use about 10g of gelatin and 5ml glyoxal (43%) in 250ml of water
slowly heated to 140 degrees, with the glyoxal added right before I begin to
brush it on. Seems to work.

I am sure there are still some smiles on the list at my attempt at using PVA
as a size about 8 months ago. I tried to remove it with hot water soaks,
and then resized with gelatin. All efforts resulted in the same thing: the
gum just washed off during development. I wonder if I put one of those
prints in the hot sun if I could fry an egg on it? I'm sure it wouldn't
stick.

Clay