Re: Gum Dichromate - Two Questions

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 11/17/02-01:44:42 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> Temi, If you use them at the same concentration, there's not much clear
> difference between the two. There's been a lot written about their
> relative strength, staining, sensitivity (or "speed"), but unless the
> percent solution is mentioned that's like saying coffee is hotter than
> beer...

My comments about ammonium vs potassium dichromate referred of course to
the two chemicals in a saturated solution, but you're right, I should
have said. At any rate, since it would be impossible to mix potassium
dichromate at the same % solution that you can mix ammonium dichromate,
and the range of concentration at which you can mix them both is quite
limited, it seems a rather esoteric argument to me. My point was that
using each at a saturated concentration, ammonium dichromate is faster
than potassium dichromate but can be too fast for a very intense UV
source, which is important information for a beginner to have.

Katharine Thayer