Re: tintypes

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/18/02-10:20:00 PM Z

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

Chris, I should have remembered that from Rexer's book... though the mind
gets large holes with age -- not really alzheimers, just wear and tear.

> Yes, being partial to gum, I also would like to see that included in a book
> on alt process. Carbon and albumen...no matter; but then Sandy King might
> disagree with me there :) Hence, checking out a table of contents on a book
> does one justice to make sure it includes what you are looking for. For a
> $21 investment at Amazon, it is WELL worth the price.

I found the format of the book appealing, attributed it (perhaps wrongly)
to the fact that Watson-Guptil does text books & isn't frightened by
"teaching text." I hope to see the book do well (after all we plug it in
P-F), and I gather it is to date, but it didn't occur to me to cite the
price -- BECAUSE, how do we value our time?

If something saves you a week of research or trial & error, or gives
knowledge quickly and surely, what's $20 more or less? the cost of two
movies... I mean if you and your children and parents are eating, get the
book and wear jeans from the thrift shop (all the good jeans are there
anyway, while the kids buy fake wrinklies). I mean photographers spend
that much on film every week -- Etc. etc. Etc.

> ... I was interested to
> see it include 5 processes (of the 50!!) that I teach in my experimental
> class, which I technically don't term alt process but which I post a lot
> about here on this list: polaroid, liquid emulsion, enlarged negs, IR, and
> hand coloring. But then again, there was NO book on the market that
> included in its Table of Contents what I teach in my class, and that is why
> I had to write and self publish my own textbook. I have no traditionally
> labeled alt process stuff in my workbook as I find it well covered
> elsewhere.

As I recall you mentioned that the university had some silly nonsense on
that. Are you allowed to sell it now? Is your price competitive with
Jill's?

> And furthermore, Judy, I'm WAITING for you to publish your own
> gum printing workbook. What gives?

Of course flattery will get you everywhere... but I don't plan (right now
anyway) to do that. I think gum is a moving target, and I need to aim at
it some more. I've also put a lot of what I've found into Post-Factory,
with more to come... but assuming I retain some marbles, I have other
thoughts (I don't dare say "plans", within earshot of my computer which is
still out to destroy me).

What's your excuse?

J.