Re: Photo Journey... OT

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 11/19/02-09:38:32 AM Z

IMO

Sedona is not so hot: yuppy with SUV's, crystals and good coffee. This is
not to say the surroundings are magnificent. But, you know, those 'spiritual
centers' are, well, disrupted by many cell phones. Oak Creek Canyon leading
to it has some lovely areas.
If you see the Petrified Forest the Painted Desert is better and don't miss
the Meteor Crater as it is more interesting than the information may
indicate (it says the place cannot be missed and you know how one passes
that by normally)
If you do go as far east as Chaco I'd take the backs roads toward Caņon de
Chelly and hire Dave, the chief guide, to take you into Spider Rock. Then
pass on down through the Hopi country toward the Grand Canyon Sedona/Painted
Desert stuff. If you like to hike, go out fr Peach Springs the 70 miles on
the dirt road and walk the six or seven miles into Havasupai (place of blue
water). Worth every footstep.
Go north over Hoover Dam and hit Vegas and Red Rocks, Mouse's Tank etc. Head
north and into Death Valley Junction for opera on Friday night and take the
back road into Death Valley or go to Beatty and drive down Titus Canyon from
Rhyolite (the best way).
Those are just a few thoughts. Certainly you'll need to head south to get
back on track to San Diego (say hello to Arthur Ollman @ MOPA from me) so
perhaps you ought to stay south on the way there from Vegas and go back home
via my mentioned routes.
Going up the CA coast just stay on highway #1. No point in telling you what
to see as you cannot miss it.
Have a great time.
Jack