Re: BTZS ExpoDev software for reciprocity corrections

sstoney@pdq.net
Date: 11/22/02-10:33:17 AM Z

> Shannon,
>
> The program depends on you having done your own film testing and
> having determined the necessary CI needed for the ES of your process.

I'm not familiar with what the CI is, although I know that ES means the
exposure scale.

> The way it works is as follows. In the the main program you first
> choose whether you intend to work with the Zone system of SBR system.
> You then choose one of the listed films, for which there are specific
> reciprocity correction data, or choose a custom film, which uses
> generic reciprocity correction data.

Do you know if this incorporates Phil's reciprocity failure testing, or if
it uses the RF data given by the film manufacturers? I know that Phil
recently completed a huge study of reciprocity failure for a lot of
different films and developers, and that he is fixing to publish this.

 The ISO value entered is that of
> the manufacturer but actual exposure values recommended take into
> consideration the time of development needed to reach a certain CI. You
> then enter the focal length of your lens, the exposure scale of your
> process,

In what form do you enter this? Like, do you tell it the density range
you want your negative to reach (say 1.6), or do you give it the high and
low densities, or tell it what step on the step tablet you want to get to?

 the low and high EV from your meter readings,

But, then how does it know where you want to place zone III for example?
Maybe it assumes that the lowest EV is zone II?

 any
> filter factors, and distance to subject, and of course desired
> shooting aperture. The program takes about 1/1000 of a nanosecond to
> think and then recommends the best exposure for the situation. It also
> recommends the necessary CI to which the film should be
> developed to match the ES of your printing process. You can then save
> all of this information to a separate Memo_Pad program for later
> reference.
>
> In an accompanying program, called the G-Bar, you enter your own data
> compiled from film testing. This is done by entering the CI of film at
> different times of development. If, for example, you tested five sheets
> of film at five different development times you would enter the five
> different CI values corresponding to this data.

I guess I'll understand this better when I know what the CI is. I thought
I read that Phil DAvis book pretty closely, but I'm not sure what you mean
by this.

Can you run this just on your palm pilot, or do you have to have a PC too,
to load stuff onto it?

--shannon