Re: BTZS ExpoDev software for reciprocity corrections

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 11/22/02-11:14:35 AM Z

Shannon wrote:

>I'm not familiar with what the CI is, although I know that ES means the
>exposure scale.

CI is the term used today to describe the slope of the curve. In old
days the terms used was gamma but CI is more accurate. Basically the
higher the CI the higher the contrast of the negative. Silver
negatives need a CI of about .51 whereas most alt processes require a
CI of .75 or higher.

>In what form do you enter this? Like, do you tell it the density range
>you want your negative to reach (say 1.6), or do you give it the high and
>low densities, or tell it what step on the step tablet you want to get to?

You enter the ES of the process. About 1.1 for silver, 1.3 for Azo,
1.4 or platinum, 1.6 or 1.7 for platinum, etc.

> the low and high EV from your meter readings,
>
>But, then how does it know where you want to place zone III for example?
>Maybe it assumes that the lowest EV is zone II?

I only use the program in SBR mode, not with Zone system. Exposure
calculations are then made based on the lowest EV reading of the
shadows where I want some detail over pure black.

>Can you run this just on your palm pilot, or do you have to have a PC too,
>to load stuff onto it?

The program comes on a CD and you load it from a Mac or PC. When you
purchase a Palm type PDA you get the option of choosing what type of
connection you have, i.e. SCSI, USB, Firewire, etc.

Sandy