Homemade UV Unit

From: Steve Bell (veracity000@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/28/02-01:05:31 PM Z

Hey everyone,

Yesterday i completed my first homemade UV unit, having been tired of
taking notes on the very inconsistent sun. it is an adaptation of the idea
in the back of the James book. basically i have 7 fluorescent light units
mounted to the lid of a footlocker, a fan mounted to the inside, blowing
out, and all of the wires are plugged into a surge protector, which is
plugged into my darkroom timer.

so here's my question. i've done a few cyanotypes, and they work alright,
the only problem being the exposures are insanely long. it took 45 minutes
to get very much from a neg that wasn't even very dense. so i used this
little metal shelf to move the negatives closer to the light source, but
it's still taking a long time. any other ideas i might try? are black
lights UltraViolet? would that be a stronger source of UV?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Steve