Re: Digital negs from pigment printers?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/14/02-10:40:45 PM Z

Hi Andy ...

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Andrew Darlow wrote:

> If you don't need to go larger than 13" wide, the discontinued 2000P
> has the same inks as the 10000, which is 44" in width. You can pick
> one of those up for $300-500 used or $600 refurbished. They are
> rather slow and ink can get expensive, but they work well.

My (sometimes) sweet little 1160 will print 12.76 inches wide, & I'm not
seeing evidence (am I?) that the pigment print is better for negatives so
I don't (yet) see reason for another digital albatross ... especially
since so far I'm only printing black. (Tho that's another story may have
to be amended....)

> I've used the Pictorico with the new Ultrachrome printer(7600-24"
> wide) but not for making digital negs.

Then what did you use it for? Overhead projection? Ye gods, you mean
they do such a thing? I thought that was merely theoretical, like
calling the refrigerator the icebox..

> The 2200 is the 13" wide
> version and the cost is about $700.

It's not so much the cost in dollars as cost to my sunny disposition. I
think one printer is enuf, for the nonce anyway...

 I would think that someone on
> this list has tried those inks for digital negs by now.

If they did, they're keeping mum about it... there may be a message in
that, actually.

cheers (or, rather, sreehc...)

Judy