RE: making gold chloride

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 10/16/02-10:05:29 AM Z

It is slow, but no need to heat if you're not using a huge lump of gold and
you're prepared to wait overnight. Leave in a ventilated place where the
fumes won't cause harm to metals, fabrics, etc., though there's not much
fuming without heat. I haven't used gold chloride in solid form, but the
textbooks tell us it's deliquescent, meaning it dissolves in water absorbed
from the air, for which reason it used to be supplied in glass phials. In
my experience, acidity doesn't matter for use in toning or sensitisers, but
the solution can be neutralised with whiting (chalk), forming a calcium-gold
salt with - as far as I could tell - just the same properties.

Liam