Re: Digital negs from pigment printers?

From: Carolyn Frayn (carolynfrayn@shaw.ca)
Date: 10/16/02-12:14:37 PM Z

> Microbanding? Is that vertical or horizontal? I noticed on a couple of the
> test strips a fine vertical texture, almost like a plaid, lines running
> the *length* of the strip, that crossed with the crossing lines of print,
> showed a very faint texture in the highlights -- in the print. Not
> readily visible in the negative.
>
> This does NOT appear in the actual photograph, either in the negative or
> in the print, so I figured it had something to do with the regularity, the
> printer heads running kachinka kachinka down 13 even flat steps of the
> step tablet. Does this seem plausible?

Judy, Have you tried running the print head alignment utility? Check to
make sure all heads are firing as well. There are other things that can
cause banding, but both directions could be a sign of bad heads. Sometimes a
windex flush helps. A friend just had their heads replaced due to that plaid
look... but I've not experienced it with OEM inks.

Carolyn