Re: Depression-era fashion in the New Yorker

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/07/02-10:40:01 PM Z

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, shannon stoney wrote:

> I wonder if anybody on this list has looked at the most recent issue
> of the New Yorker. There are some faux-Depression-era photographs in
> there, the purpose of which seems to be to sell rich people on the
> idea that it would be cool to look like an Alabama sharecropper
> cotton farmer, circa 1933, or maybe a Migrant Mother. These
> photographed enraged me on a really visceral level, and I'm not sure
> why.

Yes, I saw them. My feeling was that they were about as much like the
"model," whatever it was, as Hollywood's Cleopatra was like ancient Egypt.
But "poor boy" (the name of a style about 40 years ago), "grunge" (the
name of a style about 20 years ago), and homeless chic (a style when my
kids went to college and the cool coat was a blanket fastened with a
safety pin) perhaps didn't enrage you as seriously. That could be because
the locale of those styles was northerly, or even the name of the
magazine...

J.