Re: acids

From: Eric S. Theise (mataro@cyberwerks.com)
Date: 09/08/02-11:24:20 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson writes:
> Question: what is the
> difference between acetic acid and nitric acid?

Can't speak to acetic, but of the three "acids" commonly used in etching,
nitric is the scariest. From Sacilotto and Saff: "Nitric acid is a
strong, colorless liquid that attacks metals and organic tissues with
equally devastating effects. It is never used in pure form but always
diluted with water. The fumes of this acid are also highly corrosive
and should never be inhaled."

The Dutch mordant (water, hydrochloric acid, and potassium chloride)
is what I use for hard and soft ground etching, and ferric chloride is
the standard for photogravure. I seem to recall that ferric isn't truly
an acid, but a salt that nevertheless bites metal. Don't know if either
of those would work for your purposes, but I'd be extremely cautious
around the nitric.

--Eric