RE: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/10/02-12:41:18 AM Z

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Keith Gerling wrote:

> you just said:
>
> "good grief, Keith, don't compound the felony -- you're saying
> that I said "the consensus of critics today is that AA is a
> 'Calendar Artist.'" I've written so many words late at night, I shouldn't
> be held entirely accountable -- but I like to think I've done better than
> that. I haven't a clue what "the consensus" of critics today is... What
> critics? I don't think they, whoever they are, pay as much attention to
> the stature of Ansel Adams as this list has this week... but let me
> suggest you check the disjunction-- between what I said and what your mind
> said I said, and look deep into your heart & say why."
>
> and on Sept 2, responding to Jeff Buck, you said:
>
> "Well, Jeff, I was trying to be kind. To leave some wiggle room for Ansel
> Adams as "artist." If we count just the critics of today, I think
> the consensus would be "calendar artist," as I believe someone in this
> thread already pointed out. I didn't coin the term."

I think, Keith, that must be another Judy Seigel. I can only say however,
I agree with her. Tho maybe not.... looking through another book for
another purpose today, by cosmic coincidence I came across the Moonrise.
Have you got it around? True, it was a lousy reproduction, but I regarded
it with some apprehension -- what if I had to like it? But in fact I
found it hard to see what all the fuss was about... which is, no matter
what that other Judy or anybody wants to say (about his service to
humanity, et al) the bottom line. Does that picture thrill? Not me.

> Get yourself some coffee.

These days I'm drinking Tropicana Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. But I
appreciate the thought.

J.