Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: John Campbell (tojohn@texas.net)
Date: 09/10/02-01:59:44 AM Z

"If we don't identify a discrete common enemy--and quick!--we'll have to
bomb our allies!"
--GWB

AA is a Calendar Artist--in the sense that more of the masses experience his
work in that way. I would dare say, although I would happily be wrong, that
Amazon.com (etc.,etc.,etc.,) sells more of his 12-months-flat editions than
anything else bearing his mark. And (here's a more tender point) most all of
what's lately been published under his moniker is post-mortem for someone
else's profit. Note: The Print; The Negative; etc., and the posthumous 100
Years.

The bones are splintered for relics.

I walked (stumbled, actually) into a local gallery here in Austin last
weekend to view a colleague's work. In the back room I found magnificent
(and pricey!) prints of Cartier-Bresson, Edward Weston, Ruth Bernhard, and
others--all of them magnificent. And my peer's work was nice, and
formulaic, and well received. Above the Reception Desk (you know what I
mean) hung a MASSIVE (bigger than any enlarger could fathom) print of
Moonrise (over the fashionable receptionist). It was Too Big and Gratuitous.

What's been done to AA he did not wish for or deserve. (Just like Jesus, but
that's another list-serve)

Anyway--

AA set, to my mind, a new ethic of seeing things. He went to public places
that few ever bothered to notice. He looked until he saw things in a new
way (as Rodin suggested to Rilke). And then he stood up on top of his Woody
Suburban and hefted his massive 8x10 view camera and (I imagine) chuckled
when he had the notion that he might claim he saw the print before he ever
took the picture. . . . Right.

If I could only have just a smidgen of his adventurous eye and his lusty
spirit. If I could just notice things in some novel way.

Maybe it was the gin. I dunno.

If, by some strange twist, I hit Send rather than Delete, I hope you will
all forgive me.

Go easy,
John