Re: future of the past/ was Re: inkjet neg issues

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 09/21/02-09:02:49 PM Z

I recently mentioned the banding problem that many people have to a
computer list I'm on.

One reply this:

The Windows print drivers will often arbitarily split printed pages into a
number of smaller "images" so that the printer actually prints a series
of smaller images that are supposed to be in perject alignment.

However this alignment often doesn't work well leaving an artifact of a
band inbetween each image making up the printed page.

I don't have a clue if this would work, but it think it would get your
computer and printer communicating differently.

Your printer appears to be a postscript printer. You might try installing
adobe's postscript print driver:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ (select windows printer drivers)

This would allow you to send the print jobs as a postscipt job which would
not likely be split up into a bunch of little images.

If the cause of this banding is actually what I have been told this might
help.

If you need to convert your files into postscript files ghostscript may be
ablt to do it. Depends on what you are using to generate your image files.

ghostscript can be downloaded from:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Be warned I'm just guessing, but it might be worth a try.

Gord

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, John Cremati wrote:

> I personally have great interest in the digital negatives
> conversations, along with the pyro enlargements and carbon threads...... I
> will probably never progress to where I want to be with out getting the
> digital end of things together...
> Right now I am at a stand still because I found that my Laser printer
> leaves small dark bands on transparencies that I think is inherent of a
> laser printer...If I had joined the list sooner I would have saved myself
> the $3000 I put into a large format HP 5000gn laser printer and would have
> gotten a state of the art Epson...The Laser still has uses but I can not
> progress without good digital negative capability due to a unique process
> that I have been working on....... so instead of being there I will have to
> wait another 6 months to save the money for a Epson.....
> Thanks for all the help....It is extremely important to me....
> John Cremati

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2