Re: cotton gloves for film handling

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/29/02-03:46:54 PM Z

Carl,

I like to handle film with my hands as well, and with traditional
holders of the old style it is very easy. However, I recently
acquired some de Busch and Great Bassin film holders that are very
difficult to load. In fact, to load film with these holders involves
a lot of touching of the film. I won't go too deep into the mechanics
of the operation but will comment that these two types of holders are
good examples of how so-called improvements in traditional design
often turn out worse than the original. In the case of both the de
Busch and Great Bassin designs the builders started with a legitimate
concern, i.e. that the flap design on traditional film holders is a
potential source of light leaks. However, the remedy that de Busch
and Great Bassin adopted appears to be worse than the problem. In the
case of the Great Bassin design the end flap is eliminated altogether
and one has to shove the film in the holder, them bend it to insert
it under a groove at the bottom of the holder. The de Busch design on
the other hand replaces the simple flap with a very complicated
removable end piece, which is secured in place with a metal clamp
that requires a two part operation. And on top of this complication,
it is extremely difficult to load the film.

On the other hand, once loaded there is no possibility of a light
leak at the flap end so I am going to try and work with the holders a
bit, but without gloves it will be impossible.

Sandy King