Galleries/public and the small print…

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/01/03-02:15:38 PM Z

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there had any observations or opinions
on the small print (8”x10” and under) and how it is perceived or viewed by
galleries and the public. The reason I bring this up is that I’m starting to
notice alt process images that are small, being put in larger and lager
frames when hung in a gallery. I think this is compensation for the
expectation of a large space being used on gallery walls and viewer’s
becoming used to seeing large photographs. This came up again in my mind
when I went to the show I’m in at SOHO20 Chelsea, my 4”x5” daguerreotypes
that I have in 8”x10” frames seemed dwarfed by all the other work and the
space. I have been seeing some 4”x5” images being put in 11”x14” even up to
16”x20” frames in galleries. But every time I try this, it just seems so
over-the-top and hard on the eye.

Comments anyone?