Re: John Hurlock's cold mercury development / was Slowest development

From: Agustin (abarrutia@velocom.com.ar)
Date: 04/06/03-07:50:11 PM Z

Hello Phillip.

So you are saying that the not so well polished modern dags are the results
of an aesthetical search, rather than lazyness from the photographers?. =).
Yes you are right. I was refering to the Polishing wheels. Sorry for my bad
english. But when It comes to technical vocabulary, I´m lost!. I use one of
those motors that most people use for polishing metals. So it haves high
RPMs and it´s 1hp strong. I first start with a thick polsishing weel and
with rouge on it. Then, after 15 minutes of polishing, I go on to the next
wheel, a thinner one but still using the rouge (15 min). And at the end, I
use a soft wheel without any rouge, until I get all the specks and marks
off(5 min, maybe more). The plate gets hot quite quickly.
My teacher is Alejandro Martinez. He works as a repro photographer here in
Buenos Aires, and he started to make dags 4 years ago. I think he learned
the process with a spanish photographer/conservationist called Angel (Angel
studied and worked in Rochester.. I think ). He haves two images in Rexler´s
book "Photography's Antiquarian Avant-Garde: The New Wave in Old Processes".
Maybe I misspelled the words. I was referring to the faster formula that
uses bromide for more sensitive plates. I used the iodide formula, less
toxic and problematic, but the plates need long exposure times.
Thanks once again for your help!
Sincerely,
Agustin Barrutia

---