Film Speed and Negative Development

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 04/07/03-09:11:35 PM Z

Hi all,

Having just bought some Arista Pro 125 (aka, Ilford FP4+) I decided to run
some film speed tests. I tried Crawley's FX-37 developer, Kodak Xtol, and
D-76/ID 11 and ran into what I consider a problem. All of the developers
indicated an EI of about 12-25 with standard development using a B+W
densitometer. Increasing dilution and development effected the highlights
but not the shadows; the EI still remained 12-25. The reason for testing
Crawley's FX-37 developer and Kodak Xtol was that they are listed as
increasing speed and sharpness with greater dilutions. I also tried Sandy's
Pyrocat-HD developer and found that the film did not record anything below
zone IV. All chemistry was mixed from raw chemicals just prior to
development. I thought it might be possible that my 35mm camera's meter was
off so I took readings with a spot meter and got the same readings.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Could my chemicals have gone bad
in less than six months? Any ideas on how I can get the film speed closer
the manufacturer's rating of 125?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
smwbmp@starpower.net