Re: bronzing/solarizing/plating out

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 04/07/03-08:44:26 PM Z

Chris,

The sizing issue is an interesting one and one I had not thought much about.
I am using several different papers - Stonehenge, Arches Classic, Daniel
Smith Lenox, Fabriano Uno, and Coventry Rag - and have found that they all
print better (subjectively) if I let the sensitizer sit on the paper a while
before drying. That might have to do with the amount/type of sizing in each
paper. Lately, I have been using and seem to prefer images printed on papers
that have been pre-shrunk and given additional gelatin sizing without
hardener. I assume that gelatin sizing without hardener lets the sensitizer
sink into the paper fibers slightly while keeping most of it on top. My
reasoning behind this is that to get the Dmax I am looking for I generally
have to overexpose and the highlights sufferand the print flattens out.
Keeping the sensitizer above the paper or as close to the surface as
possible seems to give a much better print tonality (again, subjectively);
but as I found out using gum arabic, it also creates problems.

Thanks again,

Scott
smwbmp@starpower.net