Re: bronzing/solarizing/plating out

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/07/03-08:30:37 AM Z

Scott,
     If you found this to be true, is it possible, then, that bronzing in
general with all these processes occurs not only when adding gum arabic to
your coating, but any paper that has enough size in it to prevent the
solution from sinking in? Maybe Strathmore is extra sized, or uses a
particular size, that keeps the solution from sinking in, and that is why it
solarizes more than others. I mean, I initially thought that the reason
yours were solarizing was due to the addition of the gum for sure but my
idea was it maybe was holding in moisture even though feeling dry, being
that excess moisture can make this happen. But if it is truly, as you and
the book say, due to the solution not sinking in (of course among other
things) this would be an important variable to tell students.
     Being a beginner in these processes, I may, too, be confusing the three
terms: plating, bronzing, and solarizing.
     (I'm always fascinated by problems that have no determined cause...even
tho it may not be my particular problem of the week....)
Chris