Re: Thomas Duplex Sodium Vapor Safelight

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/10/03-12:08:54 AM Z

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Don Bryant wrote:

> > I PROMISE that you don't need a safelight of
> > any kind or color for coating alternative processes. Unless you're
> > feeling undeserving, and want to suffer? And I'm not the only one who
> > points that out, though maybe the only one who hasn't given up...
> >

> How bright are the lights that you use. I can't deal with "bug" lights as
> they seem to affect my eyes and they become quite tired after as short
> period.

As bright as I want... At home I work by normal room light -- tungsten
overhead, fluorescent off to the side... and TALL wall-to-wall windows
facing north. During normal daylight I don't have the electric lights on,
but it wouldn't matter if I did.

At school we worked in a room ENTIRELY lit by fluorescent bulbs -- and I
never saw any sign of fogging. Or let's say sometimes the students did get
fog, tho from beginner's mistake, on occasion... generally from too thin
negatives.

I must add however, that I think platinum is more sensitive to fluorescent
light than cyano, gum & VDB (I didn't teach platinum). I remember Sura
Steinberg saying when she demonstrated their platinotype at the Jacob
Javitz center that the overhead flurorescent lights did cause some fog.
I'll add however, that I couldn't detect it -- and those were FULL strong
exhibition hall fluorescents and the entire process including development
was done in full light.

I would suppose though that there is at least a possibility that the full
light affects exposure. You MIGHT want a shorter exposure to get the
density you're used to. But that's purest speculation -- and I seriously
doubt that for gum the difference would be measurable... you'd just
develop 10 minutes more.

Judy