Re: Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 01/01/04-03:49:31 AM Z

Mark,

We will be sure to post the link here when it goes up.

In answer to your question regarding trial prints before hitting it right.

For me a holistic thing is getting a good print, not just getting the
exposure and contrast range right. To get the good print I imagine
the following would be close.

With carbon, about 10:1 for the first print. Subsequent prints are
about 3:1 bad to good.

VDB and Kallitype, about 3:1 for the first good print, about 1.5:1
good to bad thereafter.

With the digital negatives I have been making recently I suspect that
I will be able to get the first good print number down to about 4:1
for carbon and to about 1.5:1 for VDB and Kallitype.

I suspect that the above numbers might show why I have a much
different perspective on the hassles and failure rate of the
kallitype process than Carl and Kerik!!

Sandy King