Re: Just Kallitype Now, was Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/28/03-09:46:47 PM Z

Clay,

I think there is about as much contrast control with kallitype as
with Pt/Pd. Up to this point I have primarily used small additions of
potassium dichromate directly to the sensitizer to control contrast,
and this worked very effectively without any apparent increase in
grain until I reached the equivalent of about 20ml of a 4% potassium
dichromate solution per liter of developer. More than that amount and
printing speed dropped a lot, and grain increased significantly. With
the potassium dichroamte the limits appear to be a DR of about 2.4
down to about 1.2 with no loss of image quality.

I have also been experimenting with the Na2 metal salt and early
tests suggests that it is effective in kallitype as in Pt/Pd for
contrast control.

So in answer to your question, it appears to me that the practical
limits of kallitype parallel roughly those of Pt/Pd.

Sandy