Re: Modifications Curve III

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/14/03-06:29:59 PM Z

I admire your persistance.

I'm not sure what your reference to Dan's Curve and inverting, etc have to do
with the whole thing, but just looking at the tables you show, I am going to
make a wild guess here. If I am wrong, blame it on my Mac>Windows
translator.

I am assuming that you are looking at two different step tablets that have
the same percentage values labeled on the steps.... 0%, 5%, 10%, .....95%, 100%.
  However, the values of the steps don't seem the same when you look at the
levels from 0-255?

>From your two examples, at 10%:
      First steptablet shows 10%=27
      Second Steptablet shows 10%=25

If this is your concern, then what you are referring to is a known "feature"
of Photoshop—not all % levels are created equal. Also, not all steptablet
makers are consistent in creating steps that are linear. Actually it is a
rounding error/issue. When you think about the math, %'s represent 255/100 or 1%
= 2.55. So, values get rounded off....and you can enter a number of nearby
levels to set a tone and still get the same percentage. In the case of the
two steptablets you are referencing, it is probably is just sloppy work
building one or both steptablets—the problem is that in some areas of density,
haveing two steps that differ by 5 levels MORE than you are expecting could wreak a
small amount of havoc on what you are seeing. Then on the other hand, the
average person reading this is probably scratching their head right now
muttering something about spitting hairs of a magic brush. They just make a gradient
and use the posterize command set at 21 steps.

I am working on a system that will eliminate above problem.

In fact, if you wish to split more hairs from the magic brush, has anyone
noticed that some steps between 0 and 255 don't even exist in Photoshop? Try
making a step in a grayscale steptablet that is equal to the level of 6 :)

Hope the above has been helpful. By the way, which translating system are
you using? Is it one available online? Which language are you translating
from? What happens when you translate the ouput back into your language?

Mark Nelson