Re: color order

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 08/17/03-07:08:55 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> As for "cadmium yellow," most people I know (certainly the ones I've
> taught) rarely use "cadmium yellow," and I think if you check it's rarely
> cadmium these days anyway.

This idea that cadmium colors are rarely made of cadmium any more is
inaccurate. Except for one or two student grade products, cadmium
yellows are still cadmium in all lines, and in the case of the student
grade products, it seems evident that the reason for substituting
another pigment didn't have to do with the toxicity of the cadmium but
with cost-cutting, as cadmium pigments are very expensive.

I can't say how many gum printers use cadmium yellow any more for
tricolor, but I thought it was certainly worth mentioning, since the
best-known texts in gum printing still recommend cadmium yellow as the
"process" yellow for tricolor printing. At the time that I taught myself
to print tricolor, the few sources I was able to find on the subject
all recommended cadmium yellow. I ignored the recommendations and picked
a more transparent color, but there may be folks out there who follow
directions more closely than I do. At any rate, the printing order I
learned, YMC, was I'm sure a reflection of the fact that in those days,
cadmium yellow was the standard yellow used for color printing.

>I preferred the more transparent yellow of, in those days, Rowney
> "Permanent yellow," which is, along with the others in that yellow family

It's PY1, an arylide, which gets mixed reviews re lightfastness. The
Rowney permanent yellow faded in Hilary Page's test.

Katharine Thayer