Re: color order

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/19/03-11:50:10 PM Z

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> It's PY1, an arylide, which gets mixed reviews re lightfastness. The
> Rowney permanent yellow faded in Hilary Page's test.

Someone, maybe Sullivan, mentioned Hansa Yellow -- I don't remember the
details well enough to tell this story, but it's so interesting I tell it
anyway....

Before WW2 we had a Hansa Yellow in oil & watercolor. Then a German
company enforced its patent (someone will remember the famous name of that
company i'm blanking on now) & during the war it was unavailable. After
the war the patent was lost (spoils of war? expired? reparations? I
don't remember), and we got Hansa yellow again in this country. As I
recall it's same as arylide, which was the name they gave it when they
couldn't call it Hansa -- and I believe some varieties are more lightfast
than others.

In any event, I liked it then, like it now.

PS. Don't exaggerate -- that was WW2, not One.

J.