Salted Prints

From: Loris Medici (lorism@tnn.net)
Date: 08/20/03-12:31:49 AM Z

I have read the chapters about "Salted Prints" in the books The Book of
Alternative Photographic Processes (C. James) and Coming into Focus..
(J. Barnier). Will ask few questions:

1. I don't want to store/mix (mess in other words) with pure silver
nitrate and will have the 12% solution prepared by a chemical supplies
store - will purchase it bulk and use when necessary. I remember reading
about preservatives that should be added to the silver nitrate solution
(citric acid?). What I didn't understand: Is this practice necessary to
preserve the silver nitrate solution itself or to preserve the
sensitized salted paper (to expose... say... one day after sensitizing)?
I'm confused...

2. Is there anyone who printed on unsized Canson Montval 300gsm? If yes,
did you like the result? (I don't want muddy, flat prints) I have read a
poster (in photo.net) praising unsized (I mean extra sizing) Fabriano
Artistico...

3. What do you think of salted prints toned in selenium?

Regards,
Loris.