Re: OT, Nice news

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 08/22/03-05:43:20 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Kiss" <bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
To: "ALT PHO PROC." <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 3:11 AM
Subject: OT, Nice news

> DEAR LIST,
> I have recently received a grant from the Barbados National Art
Gallery
> Committee. It is just enough to pay for 8X10 Tri-x film, 100% cotton
paper,
> platinum/palladium salts and related chemistry to print 100 prints of
> Chattel Houses. These little houses are an interesting and concrete
> manifestation of Emancipation in the British Colonies (which occurred 40
> years before the U.S.). The term "chattel" (as anyone who has ever held a
> mortgage knows) refers to real property. In Barbados it refers to a small
> "salt box" house wholly owned by the occupant who does NOT own the land.
> It was a source of pride for those of African descent to own their own
> homes which they could not do before Emancipation. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Bob! Congratulations on your project on your project on chattell
houses. That sounds lile documentary of the purest sort. It brings to mind a
statement by Diane Arbus when she said she wanted to photograph everyone in
the world
I think yours is somewhat more achievable.
I am pleased that Martin Reed and I were able to give you a bit of
assistance via our book.
I notice there has been quite a lot of talk of suitable paper for pt/pd. I
don't have much interest in the f64 crowd
although I use 10x8, 5x4 and Leica.I work on the basis that if you print on
hand or mould made paper the image and the
base it is printed on are more important than silver gelatin resolution.
You might try printing on Fabriano Roma cream. It's hand made and gives a
rich colour on pd. It allso has a large elegant watermark.
Finally it comes in a range of dark colours. Not much good for pd. but if
you coat it with white gfum emulsion and expose it under a positive it's
quite fun.
Cheers Randall Webb