Re: Dichromate dilution and speed

From: Gary Nored ^lt;gnored@centurytel.net>
Date: 12/01/03-05:57:27 PM Z

On 30 Nov 2003, at 16:57, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Some pictures to supplement my post. As always, what you see will be
> an approximation of the originals, but it's the best approximation I
> can manage.

Thank you so much for doing this! I'm glad I caught it while it was
up -- it seems to have disappeared, and only the tri-color page is
accessible now.

The thing I found most amazing, however, had nothing to do with
the experiment itself, but rather the picture you posted of a
"typical" one-coat gum print (full-tone blue pigeon picture). I've been
thinking that my results were terrible, but they look surprisingly
similar to yours. That can only mean that my one-coat attempts
have been ok. I thought they were terrible because in my first
attempt at gum (using someone else's gum, of unknown origin)
resulted in a much more full-range image than my current efforts
using the Varn gum.

Which leads me to wonder ... if you were printing this picture for
greater contrast and tonal range, would you print 1 additional coat?
Two? More?

Regards,
Gary Nored
http://home.centurytel.net/Gary_Nored/