Re: Dichromate dilution and speed

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/01/03-02:08:45 PM Z

Okay, I think I need to hit the reset button on this discussion.

I missed something somewhere, which is understandable since I've been
trying to write a book and so haven't been watching the list every
minute for the last couple of months.

But I'm really confused here. I thought that the whole thing about
dilution and speed was a dead issue and that I had spent a day making a
willing fool of myself by proving something that it turns out no one
disputes after all. And I couldn't figure out why you wouldn't stop
beating me about the head and shoulders over dry gum and Sam and
everything.

Now I think I get that you're saying that it"s Sam who is making the
claim that dilution of dichromates doesn't necessitate longer exposures,
and that the issue is still very much on the table. If that's the case,
(1) why did Christina retract her statement, and (2) does Sam, or do
you, have some actual data comparing the diluted dichromate to saturated
dichromate with everything else held constant? Or is all this just
speculation based on the idea that Sam's exposure times "seem" to be
low? I want to see some comparison data.

My job as a statistician mainly consisted of trying to stop people from
explaining differences that didn't actually exist. When I've seen some
real data that shows quantitatively that for Sam the dilution doesn't
affect the speed as much as it does for me, THEN we can talk about the
reasons why that might be so. Otherwise, it's all speculation and I just
don't have time for it.

But before I go, a couple of thoughts regarding some of the
speculations:

1. Diginegs, maybe... but I'd have to see it. And just having someone
say "my diginegs print in such and such a time, and I think that's
pretty short".... that just doesn't cut it. It's got to be an actual
comparison with the saturated dichromate, holding everything else
constant, using diginegs and then contone negs. This 2x2 comparison is
the only way to judge (1) whether there's an actual difference to
explain and (2) if the difference is due to digital negatives.

2. I think the gum thing is a wild goose chase. But I do understand now
the source of some of the difficulty between us. You actually believe
that gums of the same baume could be wildly different in percentage
solution; I don't; furthermore even if they were I think it's quite
immaterial. I just don't think that dog will hunt.

But if we take this line any further, we need someone, like Dick
Sullivan perhaps, who actually knows something about this, to come in
and set things straight; none of us so far know enough to have any idea
what we're talking about.

But from your description, it seems likely that Sam and I use basically
the same mixture, except for the dilution of the dichromate.

3. Sizing .... not likely, since I don't size. But I thought Sam said
that it's just for one-coats that he doesn't size.

4. Hmm. I'm sure there was something else, but I'm too tired to look
back through all this.

At any rate, you get me some data, and then we'll talk, okay? Bye.....
Katharine