Re: Film

From: Gregory W Blank ^lt;gblank@bellatlantic.net>
Date: 12/01/03-10:59:25 PM Z

on 12/1/03 10:18 PM, Martin Salowey at martworld.is@verizon.net wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have grown weary of Kodak's slicing and dicing policy towards their
> analog B/W products. Discontinuing Super-XX a few years back was horrific
> enough but messing around with Tri-x is nothing less than unconscionable.
> Rather than put anymore time, effort and $$ into testing and using Kodak
> products, that will eventually be discontinued or changed, I am thinking
> about testing/using some of the "Little" players products. Is anyone out
> there using the following films?

For sheet films
> * J and C Classic either 200 or 400 speed
Same film as Forte Pan is "reboxed". I use to test this film and shoot
it quite a bit when I worked for Omega, never liked it. The film in general
is somewhat course, and gives off a rather distinct odor "sometimes".

> * Efke 25, 50 or 100

Efke 25 is very sharp resolving film more contrast than I typically like,
although I have obtained some good results with it.Takes Pyro stain very
nicely. I would like to try it in 8x10 for alt process, I think the
sharpness in conjunction with the contrast may be a good match for
say platinium work.

I found in my testing of the 100 that the film exhibited higher than
usual base fog, although according to the distributer measure have been
taken to correct this. I could not obtain enough contrast without the fog
level increasing as well. At one point the density quit rising.

> * Bergger 200
I have heard this to be a good film, although rates at 100.
I have not tried it yet.

> * Ilford Pan F or HP-5 (I know they are a "Big" Player)

I have been shooting Delta 100, developed in Sandy's version of Rollo Pyro,
and I add a little Amidol.

HP5 got to be a little soft for my current taste.