Re: Lith film

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 12/11/03-11:30:33 AM Z

I agree with Clay. I have made prints from lith negatives that had
every bit of the tonal range and subtleties of tonal range that are
in my large format in-camera negatives. But it took a lot of work to
make the negatives.

However, Jeffrey makes a good point about digital negatives. In my
opinion a much better case can be made at this time for digital
enlarged negatives than for enlarged negatives with either lith film,
or for that matter with other continuous tone films. And although
posterization can be an issue with some scenes with 8-bit files
there are many images where it is not a problem.

And speaking of 16-bit files, my understanding is that Photoshop 8
will allow layers and some other tools to work in 16-bit that were
previously limited to 8-bit. Does anyone know if it will also allow
printing in 16-bit?

Sandy