Re: Lith film

From: FOTAR2@aol.com
Date: 12/12/03-04:11:06 PM Z

Judy,

    While probably not casting any light on the problem, (or X-rays) what I
got was 1/2 box of 100 sheets of 20x24 which I bought from Bob Herbst - yes,
shipped by ground, though I can't speak for how it was shipped to Bob in the
first place. I don't recall coming up with an exact description of the
irregularities in the film, just that they persuaded me to go another way. The film was
fine, other than not seeming to like being reversed without some
peculiarities. In defense of Liam's approach, I was very impressed with the potential of
the process for nailing down the range of the final negative. I'm even willing
to concede that it might have been operator error on my part. But ultimately, I
decided that the two 2-step approach gave me more overall control (including
retouching) - even if at the cost of more hassle.
    The reason for trying the reversal technique in the first place was the
insecurity I felt when trying to evaluate the brownish negatives produced by
the weak or staining developers. By invoking yet another step, I now almost get
them back to a neutral black by bleaching, and redeveloping in straight
Dektol. Close enough.

Bob