Lith film

From: Monnoyer Philippe ^lt;monnoyer@imec.be>
Date: 12/11/03-03:34:34 AM Z

Hello,

I see a lot of people are talking about lith film. I'm not much aware of the previous discussions on this topic since the beginning of the list but I'm curious: I have a limited experience with lith film, but the few I tested NEVER gave me a long range of tones suiting palladiotype or platinotype. I even used very very soft developping agents and dilutions. The Dmax can be high, but a long halftone range was impossible. I should check the manufacturing specifications of such films, but in the meantime, let me propose 3 hypothesis and ask you to react on it

So I see 3 possibilities here:
- I'm wrong, and, indeed, some lith film can give a long halftone range, like for example, from base+fog to above 3. In this case, could you please share the film name and dev. conditions, and, very important, send the curves.
- The lith film users do not need the whole haltone range, they compress their original neg values and they print high contrast images because this is what they want.
- The lith film users do not print in pure Palladiotype or Platinotype. Either they add contrast agents to their sensitiser or they choose more contrasty processes like cyanotype to suit their lith film curve.

Maybe this has been answered in the past. In this case I'm sorry and ask you when.

Thank you all,

Philippe