A little gum test

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 12/14/03-03:23:05 PM Z

Hi all, I have just done a little series of tests to look at the difference between saturated amm. di. solution and the same solution at 50% strength (which I imagine is 15% - but what would I know, I'm no chemist). The results were very obvious - the half-strength solution gave a much wider range of tones than the full strength with both the Winsor and Newton bottled gum and the "generic"gum I mix myself from powder ("borrowed" from the printmaking dept). I also threw in a bottled "gum" used by school kids for generations - this gave better results with the full strength solution. Interesting! All on Arches Aquarelle paper, tray sized with gelatine+ formaldehyde. The "gum"might be similar to Gloy but I have no idea what its constituents are - it tastes quite organic. Strange to say, I never tasted it when I was a child - how I am deteriorating!

Kate Mahoney