Re: A little gum test

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/14/03-09:35:17 AM Z

Kate Mahoney wrote:

> Hi all, I have just done a little series of tests to look at the
> difference between saturated amm. di. solution and the same solution
> at 50% strength (which I imagine is 15% - but what would I know, I'm
> no chemist). The results were very obvious - the half-strength
> solution gave a much wider range of tones than the full strength with
> both the Winsor and Newton bottled gum and the "generic"gum I mix
> myself from powder ("borrowed" from the printmaking dept).

Hi Kate,
It sounds like your conclusion is that in your test, the saturated
dichromate printed with more contrast (fewer tones) than the diluted
dichromate. Since I got that result with a digital negative but not with
a continuous tone negative, where the diluted dichromate printed with
more contrast as expected, I'm curious what type of negative you were
using.
kt