Re: A little gum test

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/14/03-08:03:05 PM Z

To use a no doubt exaggerated analogy: Imagine if someone was printing
on gel-silver paper and got a totally black print, and came to the
conclusion that the all-black paper being a "low-contrast" print, the
problem must be the contrast range of the paper, and the solution must
be to print with higher-contrast paper, rather than to reduce the
exposure.

It may be that Kate is using a light that is too intense for the
saturated ammonium dichromate, in which case she does need to go to a
lower concentration to slow things down and prevent overexposure, but if
so, let's be clear that the factor that necessitates the change is the
speed of the saturated dichromate, not its contrast range, which is
completely obscured when all the tones are blocked.
kt