Re: A little gum test

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/14/03-06:09:24 PM Z

Kate Mahoney wrote:

> Hi Mark,  Less contrast with the saturated solution was
> postulated....so I'thought I'd give it a whirl. I have been getting
> rather flat prints so this is good news. The results (to me) show some
> of the reason why I've been having some trouble with this technique -
> obviously too much amm.di. I think the reason why the tones are better
> is that mostly I've just been overexposing with the amm. di. at the
> more concentrated level...

Thanks Kate, this provides some confirmation for a suspicion I've had
for some time, that when people say that saturated ammonium dichromate
prints flat, perhaps what they really mean is that they overexpose when
they print with saturated ammonium dichromate. I have never observed
that saturated ammonium dichromate prints flat when properly exposed.
That not only the shadows but the highlights were blocked (I'm assuming
you mean after a reasonable development time) suggests that the problem
was related to significant overexposure, as you suggest above, rather
than to the contrast range of the saturated dichromate per se.
kt