Re: Flatbed scanner transparency adapter?

From: Silver Plated ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 12/19/03-09:28:27 AM Z

Hi Dwayne,

I know everyone has given the Epson 3200 glowing remarks and I generally agree that for the money you get a good bargain. I would caution you though that there are some failings that the scanner has when scanning slides. The dynamic range quoted by Epson is inflated and getting detail out of very dense portions of the slide can be difficult if not impossible. A lot of noise can be generated from the scan in these areas. Also the reported maximum optical resolution is not technically accurate. In reality you are getting about a 1600 dpi scan.

If you know that you need a film scanner for only 35mm film, then using a dedicated film scanner will provide much superior results, but will cost more money. A side by side comparison of scans made on the 3200 and and a capable dedicated scanner will easily reveal the differences. Please keep in mind that my remarks are based on experience rather than hear say and that I'm being very critical in my comparisons. Some folks might say that I'm spliting hairs. Having realistic expectations about the scanner performance will better prepare you for making a purchase and hopefully save you from buyer's remorse.

BTW, I own and use an Epson 2450 and have also used the 3200 as well and I think the scanners are break through products. But they don't set the standard for performance if your scanning needs are very critical when scanning 35mm film. For 120mm and larger the scanners can do a great job, within the limits I mentioned.

Enough of my rambling and good luck,

Don Bryant